Public Market House
Public Market House Facebook

public market house shops
K. HORTON SPECIALTY FOODS
MAINE BEER & BEVERAGE CO.
BIG SKY BREAD CO.
KAMASOUPTRA
PIE IN THE SKY PIZZA
MARKET HOUSE COFFEE
MAINE SQUEEZE SMOOTHIE & JUICE CAFE
GRANNY'S BURRITOS
DAILY GREENS
LOVE KUPCAKES
LA COCINA DOMINICANA
Pho Co.

Applications available for the following:

Sub-Tenant Vendors

Day Tables

Community Kitchen


HISTORY OF PUBLIC MARKET HOUSE

Market Vendors, LLC was created by four original vendors of the now-defunct Portland Public Market. After the Portland Public Market closed its doors in 2006, Market Vendors, LLC, Market Vendors conducted a search of the Portland Peninsula for a suitable location in which to carry on the tradition of providing a public market in downtown Portland. In the summer of 2006, Market Vendors moved into 28 Monument Square, part of the old Haymarket Row buildings and on the square that used to house Portland’s original public market. Monument Square is also site of the weekly in-town farmers market, making the location ideal both in its central location and proximity to the farmers.

The original Market House was built in 1825, at the site where the present “Our Lady of Victories” monument is located. At the time, Monument Square was called Haymarket Square. The original Market House was later converted into city hall and then torn down in 1865 when the present Portland City Hall was constructed. The row of buildings where the new Market House is located was called Haymarket Row. The building that houses the new Market House, commonly known as the former Surplus Store building, is actually called the Emerson Clapp Building. Asa Clapp, a prominent ship owner and merchant who survived the Embargo Act and supported Maine statehood, originally owned the site. Asa’s son, Charles Quincy Clapp, actually designed the original Market House back in the early Nineteenth Century.

The new Market House occupies the street level and basement level of the former Surplus Store building. The street level houses the three original vendors, K. Horton Specialty Foods, Maine Beer & Beverage Co. and Big Sky Bread Co. The basement level houses the Community Kitchen. The Market House also leases a portion of Monument Square from the City of Portland, where it provides day tables for small business owners to sell their Maine grown, produced or value-added products.

Click the following if you are interested in an application for Sub-Tenant Vendors, Day Tables, or Community Kitchen .

Bill the Beer Guy

PUBLIC MARKET HOUSE
28 Monument Square
Portland, ME 04101
Phone:207 720-0332

info@publicmarkethouse.com
HOURS
8am-7pm Monday thru Saturday
10am-5pm Sunday